KPH cells and batteries
Alkaline nickel-cadmium cells of KPH type and blocks of them
Cells of KPH type are alkaline cells with pocket plate electrodes and comply with international standard IEC 60623.
- diesel engine starting of mainline and shunting locomotives;
- internal combustion engine starting;
- UPS with short discharge rate;
- urban electric transport;
- sea and river ships.
It’s possible to develop and supply battery blocks with the different number of cell and individual layout according to customer’s technical requirements.
|Cell type||IEC 60623 designation||Nominal capacity, C5||Cell dimensions, mm||Cell weight, kg||Terminals|
|W||L||H||with electrolyte||without electrolyte|
|Cell type||Block dimensions, mm|
|W||H||L / L1|
|KPH80P||170||370||192 / 230||270 / 308||348 / 386||426 / 464||522 / 560||600 / 638||678 / 716||756 / 794||834 / 872|
|KPH100P||170||339||262 / 300||375 / 413||488 / 526||601 / 639||-||-||-||-||-|
|KPH130P||170||339||262 / 300||375 / 413||488 / 526||601 / 639||-||-||-||-||-|
|KPH220P||205||380||382 / 437||556 / 611||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|KPH245P||205||380||382 / 437||556 / 611||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|KPH270P||205||380||382 / 437||556 / 611||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
1. At the operation as emergency power source the combined three-stage source is more preferable.
Stage 1 — Intensive charge
Charging by constant current 0,2 Cn to the voltage 1,6 V on cell.
Stage 2 — Additional charge
Charging by constant voltage till the charging current declines to 0,02 Cn.
For the best cell charging, the charging voltage of Stage 2 should be corrected in accordance with the environmental temperature — if the temperature increases, the voltage should decrease for preventing electrolyte boiling; if the temperature decreases, the charging voltage should increase for charging level increasing. The dependence between charging voltage and environmental temperature is following:
Ucharging. = Uo + 0,003·(25 — tenv.), where
Ucharging. — charging voltage, V/cell,
Uo — initial voltage (1,53 — 1,58 V in accordance with the cell type and operation conditions)
tenv — environmental temperature, °С,
0,003 — temperature coefficient.
Stage 3 — Mode of self-discharge compensation (mode of trickle charge).
Additional charge by constant voltage 1,42 — 1,43 V on cell.
The described three-stage charging rate provides minimum 90 % of level of charge and minimal electrolyte boiling. In such mode the periodicity of cell filling-up is no more frequently than once 6 months.
2. Two-stage charging rate (Stage 1 + stage 3) provides minimum 80 % of level of charge and minimal electrolyte boiling.
3. Two-stage charging rate (Stage 1 + stage 2) provides minimum 90% of level of charge, but there will be a bigger electrolyte boiling compared with the use of Stage 3.
4. One-stage charging rate (Stage 2) provides up to 90 % of level of charge, but the battery will accumulate capacity after emergency discharge for a longer time. Also there will be a bigger electrolyte boiling.
5. One-stage charging rate (Stage 1 without cut-off) provides 90–95 % of level of charge, but there will be a strong electrolyte boiling, for this reason the use of this mode without cut-off is unacceptable.
Before operation it’s recommended to prepare the cells in the following way:
Charge with 2 conditioning cycle: charge by 0,2Сn current during 10 hours for the first cycle and 8 hours for the second cycle, discharge by 0,2Сn current during 4 hours for the first cycle and till 1,0 V for the second cycle. Then charge with control cycle: charge by 0,2Сn current during 8 hours, then rest for 1 hour, discharge by 0,2Сn current till 1,0 V.
Then charge by 0,2Сn current during 10 hours. After charging disconnect a battery from a charger.
Charge the battery, using the direct-current or rectified current power supply with the maximum operating voltage of at least (2*п) V, where п — number of series-connected cells.
Regular operation in floating mode causes the degradation of cell capacity. This process is revertible. For cell recovery it’s recommended if necessary to refresh cells by the mode similar to the mode of placing in operation.